Friday, October 12, 2012

Smells like teen...angst







Yahoo, it is Thursday and that means Playlist Thursday! Brian from Pavement Runner has continued on from last week’s theme and this week is Teenage Angst...oh the memories. The songs won’t necessarily speak of angst but come from a time when I was all teenager-y and had more than my share of angst. The dates on these songs gives an indication that of my age; long live the 80’s.


Rules:

Something Old: Songs that are at least 5 years old. (Mine will most always be older than that!)

Something Current: Songs that have been released within the past year. (Harder for me)

Something to Consider: This is the wild card category - any song: old, current, guilty pleasure, underground, whatever.

Something Old

Artist: AC DC

Title: You Shook Me All Night Long (1980)

Side Note: AC DC was huge at my school and dominated the jukebox (yes, I said jukebox) in our cafeteria. Many a Friday or Saturday night was spent listening to AC DC and whose ever house we were at the parents never failed to yell down the stairs “turn that noise down”. I have to say that my husband and kids don’t get AC DC either; whatever, I do.

Quotable: “She was a fast machine she kept her motor clean, She was the best damn woman that I ever seen...”

Something Current

Artist: The Smiths

Title: What Difference Does It Make? (1984)

Side Note: There is nothing current about this song, but the theme is teen angst and I haven’t been a teen in a really long time. Nothing says angst like The Smiths. Morrissey’s voice and lyrics are the very epitome of my teens. Oddly, this music isn’t sad or depressing for me, it actually represents some very good times and makes me smile (okay, Morrisey's dance moves kind of make me laugh now...)

Quotable: “So, what difference does it make? It makes none, but now you have gone, and you must be looking very old tonight”

Something to Consider

Artist: The Grapes of Wrath

Title: Peace of Mind (1987)

Side Note: The Grapes come from Kelowna, BC, I loved the music and man, they were unbelievably cute. Much to my delight, they have just released a new single to radio, keep a watch out for it to make a list as soon as I can purchase it digitally.

Quotable: "why is the world so damn unkind to one so righteous in her mind, the sun won't rise and shine, will you never find your peace of mind”


That’s it for me this week. Make sure to go over and check out the other Playlist Thursday entries!

No comments:

Post a Comment